Albert Camus was an Algerian-French writer who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1957. He was by no means a perfect man---he had his indiscretions, but he also gave us some of the most inspiring and truthful statements that I have ever read. Being the collector of quotations that I am, Albert Camus's quotations rank probably right at the top for me... My favorites include:
- Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
- Do not wait for the last judgment. It takes place every day.
- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
- What is a rebel? A person who says no.
- But in the end, one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.
- We are all special cases.
- Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
- But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?
- Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without asking a clear question.
- I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.
- It is normal to give away a little of one's life in order not to lose it all.
- Man is the only creature that refuses to be what he is.
- Everyone would like to behave like a pagan, with everyone else behaving like a Christian.
- After all manner of professors have done their best for us, the place we are to get knowledge is in books. The true university of these days is a collection of books.
- A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened.
- Ah, my dear, for anyone who is alone, without God and without a master, the weight of days is dreadful.
- All great deeds and great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door.
- You are forgiven for your happiness and your success only if you generously consent to share them.
I could go on and on and list dozens more fantastic quotes from Camus....the ones I have listed though have a special place in my heart. The ones I highlighted are my all-time favorites. I think I like quotations so much because words have such incredible power. The intense emotion and knowledge that can be shared through a few words is mind-boggling. When I am going through a difficult time in my life, I pull out my book of quotations and randomly start flipping pages. After about 15-20 minutes, I always feel a bit more ducky.....