Saturday, March 1, 2008

Bright Spot for the Winter Time Blues

Even up here in Minnesota where it is so stinkin' cold your thermometer breaks...we have a winter farmer's market. It only runs from 9-Noon on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month, but at least we have one! I shamefully admit that I had never been to it until this morning. I didn't know what to expect from it (nothing grows in the snow/ice) but was pleasantly surprised. It is THE place to buy your organic beef, pork, lamb and chicken if you are of the meat-eating persuasion. They of course had local free range eggs, local honey, apples, potatoes, onions, garlic, jams/jellies, baked goods and cheese. My family picked up some eggs, ground beef and bacon.

On the way home from the farmer's market we stopped by our local market and picked up...for the first time ever...milk in a glass bottle. I know...I know...I'm behind the rest of the class on this one...everyone else is already doing it...but I haven't been. I've been buying local milk in a plastic jug... But better late than never, right? I can't wait to try it! I hope it's super yummy...(cough)...oh by the way...it's chocolate milk...(cough, cough)....

Anyways, this excursion was a much needed bright spot in the dim happenings of our home life lately...things with my youngest have escalated to gigantic proportions, much of which I have not touched on here. Folks, it's been bad...like I cried for 3 hours straight yesterday bad.

So thank goodness that this was the first Saturday of the month so that we could go to the farmer's market! And thank goodness that my husband remembered and recommended it! I had totally forgotten about it. I can't wait to go again. It has even got my husband and I talking about buying 1/4 or 1/2 a side of beef from our favorite seller at the market. That would be wonderful...hopefully we can turn this idea into reality. That would be super cool.

What have you all been up to? Sit down and let's chat awhile... We've got a lot of catching up to do...and you look fabulous, by the way...

3 comments:

Burbanmom said...

Thanks, Ducky, you're lookin' pretty hot yourself! I am so UBER JEALOUS that you have a farmer's market in Minnesota -- in WINTER! I'm in Virginia and our farm market closes in October! WTF?!?!?

PS... We go through six half-gallon, glass bottles of milk each week ---- 3 white, 3 chocolate! :-) Nothin' like it in the world!

Joyce said...

Can't seem to find milk in glass bottles here. Are yours returnable, like they were when I was a kid, or do you just recycle them?

just ducky said...

The glass bottles where I live are returnable. They actually require you to pay $1.50 per bottle for a "bottle deposit" that you get back when your return the rinsed out bottle to the store. I really like that they do that--it must cut down on a lot of potential waste and carbon emissions to reuse them versus my recycling the old and them using new bottles. We are lucky enough to have 3 stores very close to where I live/work that offer milk in glass bottles.