Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Times Square Trash...

My husband heard on the news today that 13 garbage trucks full (approximately 40 tons of trash) was left to be picked up in Times Square after the big "ball drop" on New Year's Eve. What??? Oh, but the ball had LED lights, so it all balances out (cough, wink)... Included in the trash was confetti, plastic hats, cups, water bottles and glasses that say 2008--all littered Times Square in one night. It took 109 people to clean it all up the next day. What in the heck is going on? Why, why, why? That's crazy. How necessary was all of that? I spent the night at home with my husband and we didn't even accumulate 1 full bag of trash...and we had a good time... Does it make any sense to change the ball to LED lights if you are still planning on dropping 1 ton of confetti/streamers? I don't want to sound like a witch...I'm glad they used LED lights and that little effort is better than nothing...but maybe next year they could work on cutting out the confetti/streamers entirely as well?

Oh well, I guess I'll go back into my glass house and stop throwing stones now...

No comments: