Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Struggling...

While so many people in the "green blogger" world have been triumphing and sacrificing and doing without in the name of all that is environmental...I've been purchasing things...predominantly clothing/accessories...they haven't been wacky, senseless purchases, but they have still been purchases. You see, I'm struggling...unlike some--I work in a professional office environment. Currently "business casual" is acceptable attire, but they are piloting a new "business formal only" dress policy that could go office-wide/mandatory. For me, this would mean skirts, blouses, dress pants, and suit coats. We already have a strict policy requiring socks or pantyhose for women at all times. We are not allowed to wear cargo pants, capris, shorts, tank tops, flip flops or jeans. For the past 5 years I've been skimming by with the absolute bare minimum/loose interpretation of the dress code...but lately I've wanted to dress better--not more expensively--just better. I feel that for a long time I'd kind of given up on my appearance and now I'm starting to want to feel "put together" again. By no means, do I want to be all hair, nails and make-up...I just want people to take me seriously and feel good about my representing their company.

At the same time I don't want to be wasteful and a clothing whore. It's hard...I do not at all support the thought that someone should be judged by their appearance...and yet we are judging and being judged by our appearance everyday. I want people at work to ask for and value my opinion, but who wants to trust someone who is a total slob? And...following along the "dressing for success" conundrum...I've been hooked on watching What Not To Wear. I love to see the transformation of the participants and hear how the show has touched their hearts.

Well, I better head for bed now...I keep nodding off in front of my computer...I'll write more about all of this later! Ciao!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rule #1: Guilt is not helpful. (Maybe I am misinterpreting your post, but you sound like you feel kinda guilty. Forget the guilt.)

That said, do you have any second-hand stores that sell nice women's used clothing? Where I live, there are several that have business suits that no one would ever know were used.

Or, if you buy new, you can buy classic clothing that is well-made and will last a long time. Unfortunately, we ARE judged by how we look all the time. People often think I'm younger than I am, and sometimes I think it's cuz I dress like a sloppy teenager most of the time. So I definitely hear you.

Beth

Anonymous said...

When you are representing a company, if you feel "put together" it takes that concern off of your mind. It really does help you function better at your job when you don't have to worry about whether or not you have "met the standard".

Mandatory business formal sounds pretty serious.

My "go to" pieces of clothing are black or navy blue. Can't beat a black skirt and jacket.